Reports to: Superintendent Date Revised: February 11, 2020
Dept./School: Curriculum, Instruction & Instructional Technology
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Responsible for the overall management of the district’s curriculum and instruction function, including instructional technology. Lead the strategic planning and implementation of curriculum and instruction programs. Ensure that the development and delivery of curriculum and instructional programs are effective and efficient, incorporate district goals, and support student outcomes and alignment. Collaborate and communicate regularly with the Superintendent, Chief Financial Officer, Principals, and other administrators.
Master’s degree in education administration
Knowledge of curriculum, instruction, and instructional technology
Ability to interpret data and evaluate instructional programs and teaching effectiveness
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Strong work ethic
Ability to create and innovate
Three years’ experience as a classroom teacher
Three years’ experience in instructional leadership roles
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Instructional and Program Management
- Oversee the development and delivery of curriculum and instructional programs that incorporate district goals and support student outcomes.
- Lead the district-level decision-making process to establish and review the district’s goals and objectives and major classroom instructional programs. Ensure that goals and objectives are developed using effective collaborative processes and problem-solving techniques.
- Monitor and re-evaluate instructional programs on an ongoing basis using input from teachers and principals, applied research, and student data to determine effectiveness and improve outcomes. Recommend changes and adjustments where appropriate.
- Ensure that the necessary time, resources, materials, and technology to support accomplishment of education goals are available.
- Collaborate with principals, teachers, and other instructional staff to develop, maintain, and revise curriculum documents based on a systematic review and analysis.
- Engage instructional staff in evaluating and selecting instructional tools and materials to meet student learning needs.
- Actively support the efforts of others to achieve district goals and objectives and campus performance objectives.
- Oversee staff development programs and ensure that effective activities that support instructional programs, incorporate input from teachers and principals, and are consistent with the district’s mission are provided.
- Participate in the implementation and support of the designated teacher appraisal system.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Ensure compliance with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in curriculum and instruction area.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Develop and administer the curriculum and instruction budget based on documented program needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed prudently.
- As needed, prepare, review, and revise job descriptions in curriculum and instruction department.
- As directed by the Superintendent, evaluate job performance of employees to ensure effectiveness.
- As directed by the Superintendent, select, train, evaluate, and supervise staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Ensure that established goals and expectations related to implementation of the curriculum and instruction programs are communicated clearly, consistently, and in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with principals, teachers, staff, consultants, parents, and community members.
- Articulate the district’s mission, instructional philosophy, and curriculum implementation strategies to the community and solicit its support in realizing district’s mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of district-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
- Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
- Collaborate with Technology Coordinator to stay abreast of, develop, and implement instructional technology systems and resources.
- Prepare and deliver written and oral presentations on curriculum and instruction issues to the board, principals, teachers, parents, and community groups. Attend regular meetings of the board.
- Stay abreast of current research and best practices in curriculum, instruction, and instructional technology and adjust plans, policies, and procedures accordingly.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws related to curriculum and instruction. Stay abreast of state and federal public policy changes that could impact the district.
- Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None at this time.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
Environment: Frequent districtwide travel; occasional statewide travel
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress