Primary Purpose: Plan, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program at assigned campus. Counsel students to fully develop each student’s academic, career, personal, and social abilities and address the needs of special population students.
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university Valid Texas school counselor certificate
Knowledge of counseling procedures, student appraisal, and career development Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior Ability to present information in one-on-one, small group, and large group situations to students, parents, and district staff Experience: Two years teaching experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Plan and conduct structured group lessons to deliver the district’s guidance curriculum effectively and in accordance with students’ developmental needs. Collaborate with teachers who teach the guidance-related curriculum.
2. Guide individual students, groups of students, and parents to plan, monitor, and manage the student’s own educational and career development including creating and reviewing personal graduation plans and providing information about post-secondary opportunities.
3. Use accepted theories and effective techniques of developmental guidance to counsel individual students, small groups of students, and parents to plan, monitor, and manage a student’s own personal and social development. Provide preventive, remedial, and crisis counseling as needed.
4. Coordinate school, home, and community resources and refer students, parents, and others to special programs and services as needed.
5. Work collaboratively to advocate for individual students and specific groups of students. Assessment
6. Interpret standardized test results and assessment data to guide students in individual goal setting and planning. Program Management and Administration
7. Plan, implement, evaluate, and promote continuous improvement of a balanced comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program that includes guidance curriculum, responsive services, individual planning, and system support components.
8. Advocate for a school environment that acknowledges and respects diversity.
9. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents.
10. Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and board policy. Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations
11. Adhere to legal, ethical, and professional standards for school counselors including current professional standards of competence and practice.