Job Title: Business Manager
Reports to: Superintendent
Dept./School: Executive Office/Business Services
Responsible for oversight of all financial and business affairs of the district. Provide leadership for the district’s financial services activity to ensure legally sound and effective management practices. Direct and monitor the management and investment of all district funds and ensure they are adequately protected. Serve as chief financial advisor and budget advisor to the superintendent and board of trustees.
Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or other related field
Advanced knowledge of school finance, budgeting, accounting systems, and economics
Knowledge of information/data processing systems and financial applications
Ability to resolve conflict, listen, and appropriately respond to concerns
Demonstrated leadership skills
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Excellent communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Administrative or management experience
Supervisory responsibility in the fields of finance or accounting
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure preparation and integrity of all district general accounting records and related financial reports using accepted standards for school accounting as prescribed by the Texas Education Agency.
- Develop long-range and short-term objectives for district’s business operations and prepare district budget. Monitor budget variances and oversee budget adjustments.
- Act as financial advisor to the superintendent and board of trustees and keep them informed of the financial condition of the district.
- Maintain the district’s investment portfolio. Supervise and coordinate the investment of all available funds to the best interest of the school district and ensure that these funds are adequately protected against loss at all times.
- Ensure that all financial obligations of the school district (accounts payable, notes payable, bonded indebtedness, and payroll) are met on a timely basis.
- Implement and maintain internal control procedures to ensure the safeguarding of assets and reliability of accounting data and to promote operational efficiency and ensure adherence to prescribed procedures.
- Oversee the auditing program for all district funds and work cooperatively with the district’s independent and internal auditors in conducting periodic audits.
- Administer the business office budget and ensure that programs are cost effective and funds are managed prudently.
Policies, Reports, and Law
- Review and recommend appropriate policies, administrative regulations, and administrative practices for the areas supervised.
- Implement the policies established by federal and state laws, State Board of Education rule, and local Board policy in the areas assigned.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required including preparing and evaluating monthly financial statements and related budget reports, preparing quarterly and final reports for all federal funds and grants, developing semi-annual financial information for submission of data to TEA, and preparing and publishing comprehensive annual financial report in compliance with Association of School Business Officer (ASBO) standards.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Select, train, evaluate, and supervise department staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Develop training options and improvement plans for department staff to enhance the effectiveness of department operations.
- Attend board meetings and make presentations when appropriate and/or requested.
Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of the payroll and human resource intake personnel.