Operate school bus and related equipment to provide safe and orderly transportation of students and other authorized persons on assigned route and to and from other designated locations.
Clear and valid Texas commercial driver’s license with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Must be 18 years of age
Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical exam
Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Proficient map reading skills
Ability to manage student behavior
Ability to communicate effectively with others
Ability to operate bus
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Drive bus daily following assigned route and adhering to established schedules.
- Drive bus to and from extracurricular activities.
- Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road conditions, and schedule changes and make necessary adjustments to ensure student safety and reduce delays.
- Perform pre- and post-trip inspections according to specifications to ensure bus can be operated safely and notify supervisor of needed repairs. Keep assigned bus clean and maintain appropriate level of fuel.
- Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, and mechanical problems and complete required corresponding reports.
- Instruct students on safe entering, exiting, and passenger rules and regulations. Supervise students while they board and leave the bus and cross the street.
- Maintain discipline and use effective behavior management control over groups of students. Report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator and communicate with teachers and parents regarding student’s behavior when warranted.
- Perform emergency evacuation of students on bus when the situations warrants.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar, and reflector.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor. Report any hazardous conditions along scheduled route.
- Install snow chains during inclement weather.
- Maintain safety certification.
- Operate and monitor two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office and other drivers.
- Complete and maintain accurate, up-to-date, and timely records and reports including but not limited to those related to bus mileage, gas and oil consumption, and number of passengers transported.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Operate school bus; two-way radio; safety equipment including but not limited to flares, reflective signs, and fire extinguisher
Posture: Prolonged sitting; frequent standing and twisting; occasional kneeling/squatting, bending, stooping, and pushing/pulling
Motion: Prolonged driving; moderate walking; frequent climbing stairs, grasping/squeezing, wrist and shoulder flexion/extension, and reaching
Lifting: Limited light lifting and carrying (under 15 pounds) on a daily basis
Environment: Frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, noise, and vehicle fumes; work around moving vehicles; regularly work irregular hours, and occasionally work prolonged hours
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.