Responsible for program administration, implementation, coordination, and evaluation of a comprehensive program of health services for district.
Valid registered nurse (RN) or advance practice RN license from the Texas Board of Nursing
Ability to organize, direct, coordinate, and evaluate health services delivery system
Ability to implement policies and procedures
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Knowledge of school health and nursing administration
Knowledge of community medical and healthcare services
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Experience in school health, community health, pediatric/adolescent healthcare, or nursing administration preferred.
Supervisory experience preferred.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Determine the goals, objectives, and priorities of the health services program in conjunction with nurses and other staff and within the goals and strategic plan established by the district.
- Identify, analyze, and apply current nursing and medical research findings to plan and provide health care delivery for all students. Evaluate and improve school health practices and make changes based on findings.
- Develop programs and recommend policies related to health and safety. Provide expert advice to district administration and other departments regarding policies, procedures, nursing, and healthcare standards on matters impacting student, staff, and the community.
- Collaborate with district level administration to integrate and implement health policies and practices with priorities of the district.
- Manage the delivery of all campus health services and ensure consistent implementation of school health policies regarding immunizations, communicable diseases, medication, and emergency care of ill and injured.
- Coordinate activities of the health services program with outside agencies and members of medical and health care community to ensure that students have access to adequate health care services. Represent the district in collaborative community programs related to student health.
- Serve as permanent member of district’s school health advisory committee. Participate in the development of health education curriculum and contribute to other committees related to health and safety issues of students and staff.
- Coordinate department and district staff development, orientation, training, and certification as related to health needs of students.
- May perform duties of school nurse at assigned campus. **
- Ensure all student Individualized Health Plans (IHP) are correct at the start of the school year and reviewed annually.
- May serve as the teacher of record for High School coursework in the area of Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) through partnerships with local health providers.
- Collaborate closely with campus principal and other staff and provide leadership to ensure a healthy school environment. Work to meet the health needs of the general school population and those students with identified health conditions.
- Participate in Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committee (ARD) meetings of students with identified health needs and develop Individual Health Plans (IHPs). Work with district personnel regarding implementation of IEP goals and services.
- Advise campus administration in crisis or emergency situations and participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse.
- Develop and administer health services budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Ensure that all campuses have needed healthcare supplies and resources and recommend purchase, replacement, and repair of equipment when needed.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required, including accurate, updated records of health information for all students.
- Implement and comply with policies established by federal and state law, Texas Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Work cooperatively with principals to recruit, interview, select, train, supervise, and evaluate all health services personnel and make recommendations about assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Prepare, review, and revise department job descriptions.
- Share responsibility with principals to evaluate performance of school health services personnel to ensure effectiveness and develop training options and improvement plans to ensure exemplary operation in the health services area.
- Plan and conduct professional development, orientation, training, and certification programs for nurses and nurse assistants.
Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of school nurses and nurse aides at campuses throughout district.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including computer and peripherals; may use standard medical clinic equipment including automated external defibrillator (AED)
Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions; frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
Environment: Exposure to biological hazards, bacteria, and communicable diseases; may work prolonged or irregular hours; frequent districtwide travel
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress