The Distance Education Specialist helps ensure digital instructional resources are used effectively to promote quality teaching and learning. A commitment to the role of the community college, as described in the College Mission, is essential.
The Distance Education Specialist partners with students, faculty, and staff at our physical campuses and online. This position reports to the Director of Distance Education.
• Operates as the primary administrator and trainer for the College’s course evaluation platform, including disseminating semester course evaluations.
• Supports enrollments on the course-sharing platform, Acadeum.
• Assists with administrator duties and Tier 1 and 2 technical support of instructional technology (i.e., Canvas, Zoom, VidGrid, ReadSpeaker, Upswing).
• Assists with facilitating self-paced online courses, creating documentation, and/or hosting online and in-person sessions.
• Guides faculty with using College-approved instructional technology, including the Media Creation Center.
• Collaborates with faculty, deans, and Academic Support (i.e., Tutoring, Counseling, Library) to create educational multimedia and organize it on the College’s LMS and website.
• Assists faculty with developing interactive and visually appealing digital content and assessments that align with college, state, federal requirements and policies.
• Engages professional development to stay informed about trends in digital teaching and learning.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Dynamic written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent computer application skills and a high comfort level with technology
• Capacity to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete simultaneous projects
Any combination of the experience in the following areas will make applicants stand out:
• Learning Management System admin duties, preferably Canvas
• Creating and editing multimedia
• Video conferencing tools, preferably Zoom
• Training or teaching in a one-on-one or group setting
• Instructional design, adult learning, or education technology
• Basic HTML and graphic design