WEST CENTRAL TEXAS
Shared Service Arrangement
JOB TITLE: Speech Therapist REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education
Plan and provide direct therapy to students with speech, voice, or language disorders. Assess students and provide therapeutic intervention to eliminate or reduce problems or impairments that interfere with students• ability to derive full benefit from the educational program.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
l. Assess students with speech or language disorders and determine eligibility for services
2. Plan and provide appropriate individual and group therapy to students consistent with speech/ language goals contained in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
3. Participate in the Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee regarding interpretation of assessment data. appropriate placement, and goal setting for students with speech and /or language disorders according to district procedures.
4. Evaluate student progress and detem1ine readiness for termination of therapy services.
5. Counsel and involve parents in the remedial process.
6. Collaborate with classroom teachers to plan and implement classroom-based activities to improve oral and written language skills of students.
7. Provide infomrntion and consultation in assigned schools to assist school personnel in the identification and understanding of students with communication deficits.
8. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records and other documents required.
9. Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board and Commissioners of Education rule, and the SSA policies, procedures and guidelines.
10. Present a positive role model for students that support the mission of the SSA.
11. Maintain a positive and effective relationship with supervisor.
12. Effectively communicate vvith colleagues, students, and parents regarding the accomplishment of therapy goals and needs of the student.
13. Assess and respond to needs related to job responsibilities.
14. Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of the speech therapy program and implement changes based on the findings.
15. Assist in the selection of materials, equipment, and other instructional material.
16. Create and environment conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
17. Establish control and administer discipline according to board policies and administrative regulations.
Professional Growth and Development
18. Develop needed professional skills appropriate to job assignment.
19. Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
20. Articulate the district's mission and goals in the area of speech therapy to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
21. Demonstrate awareness of school/community needs and initiate activities to meet those identified needs.
22. Demonstrate the use of appropriate and effective techniques for community and parent involvement.