- Bachelors degree in education, social work, social sciences, communications, business management, or a related field
- Three years of experience working with schools, youth, and/or workforce development
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Ability to learn to utilize educational and career planning software and other computer programs as identified by Abilene ISD and then teach others (students, parents, and teachers) how to use this software
- Excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable with public-speaking or giving classroom presentations
- Strong management and organizational skills
- Familiarity with education, health and human services, workforce development, and other family support services is beneficial
- Able to work independently, meet deadlines, have the ability to multi-task, possess innovative and creative problem-solving abilities, be resourceful and function as an effective team member.
- Valid Texas driver license and proof of vehicle liability insurance
Summary of Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Director of CTE, the selected candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Supporting the city's economic development goals with an emphasis on workforce development, including developing good working relationships with students, parents, and various collaborative partners (Communities in Schools, Abilene Independent School District, CTE teachers, Abilene Chamber of Commerce, Development Corporation of Abilene, Abilene Industrial Foundation, Workforce Solutions of West Central Texas, Cisco College, Texas State Technical College, America's Small Business Development Center, etc.).
- Provide enrollment assistance to students participating in AIF educational-support opportunities (enrollment applications, FAFSA completion, scholarship documentation, course selection, etc.)
- Maintain student case management files for all students participating in or considering AIF educational-support opportunities (applications, parent consent, enrollment documentation, tracking, etc.)
- Partner with Workforce Solutions of West Central Texas and the Abilene Industrial Foundation to link AISD CTE graduates to local job opportunities.
- Partner with Workforce Solutions and the Abilene Industrial Foundation to help secure summer internships for high school students (11th graders) to get real exposure to CTE related jobs.
- Inform students, parents, educators, community members, and business partners about CTE educational opportunities at The LIFT, all district high school campuses, and postsecondary institutions. This may include the development of promotional materials, site visits, field trips, public speaking engagements, etc.
- Promote and inform students, parents, and the community about CTE programs of study.
- Promote career and post-secondary exploration by supporting both students and teachers with career and post-secondary exploration software, classroom presentations, industry and campus tours, teacher training, and business/community resources.
- Support students with their educational and career planning endeavors by assisting them with the use of planning software and by facilitating ongoing communication between students, parents, teachers, counselors, and higher education representatives.
- Partner with counselors to provide student support to high school students who are pursuing a CTE program of study.
- Track monthly and semi-annual data and produce an annual report related to specified program activities and targeted outcomes.
- Attend meetings and training events as requested by Director of CTE and/or Abilene ISD.
- Participate fully in all AISD activities as required: orientation, training, meetings, etc.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Able to work a flexible schedule with low to moderate evening and weekend work.
- Able to travel to select destinations to meet with prospects, take students enrolled in the AIF educational support program on applicable college/technical school tours, parent and client meetings, and attend events.
- Possess a valid driver license, a clean driving record and access to reliable transportation to travel in between multiple campuses and work sites. An AISD vehicle will be provided when/if transporting students. Travel with students must adhere to AISD policy.
- Able to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Able to carry at least twenty-five (25) pounds.
About Abilene Industrial Foundation
The Abilene Industrial Foundation (AIF) is a 501 (c)(6) organization affiliated with the Abilene Chamber of Commerce. The purpose of the organization is to promote the growth, development and diversification of the economy in and around Abilene, Texas, by attracting new industries, retaining and expanding existing industries, in addition to supporting the federal, state and military agencies presently located in Abilene within the greater context of the DevelopAbilene brand. Functionally, the AIF is funded by the Development Corporation of Abilene to serve as the marketing and development arm for the city's economic development program.
The Career Coach will work with the Career and Technical Education program, will support the efforts of AIF educational program which is funded by the Development Corporation of Abilene, and will directly assist students with the pursuit of higher education courses and careers, career exploration, educational and career planning, CTE programs of study, and industry based certifications.